International Students

Your new career path begins here.

Welcome to McDougle Technical Institute, Wherever You’re From

Can’t stop dreaming about coming to study in one of the US’s most beautiful states? We don’t blame you. McDougle Technical Institute of Cosmetology and Wellness is proud to be approved by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to accept non-immigrant students’ applications.

Interested in applying? You can apply right away with our International Student Application. If you have a few questions, we’ve gone ahead and collected some information below that will help you to better understand the process of getting accepted to study in the US.

Which Visa is Right For Me?

If you would like to study as a full-time student in the United States, you will need a student visa. There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States. These visas are commonly known as the F and M visas.

You may enter in the F-1 or M-1 visa category provided you meet the following criteria:

  • You must be enrolled in an “academic” educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program
  • Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution
  • You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  • You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study
  • You must maintain a residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up.
  1. F-1 Student Visa

The F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and your school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

  1. M-1 Student Visa

The M-1 visa (Vocational Student) category includes students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training.

  1. Employment

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year. F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment after they have been studying for one academic year. These three types of employment are:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies.

For both F-1 and M-1 students, any off-campus employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.

For more information on the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, visit

McDougle Technical Institute is a SEVP-certified accredited vocational school. All international students interested in studying with McDougle Technical Institute will need to apply for the M-1 Visa.

Applicants who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States are considered international students. All international students interested in studying with McDougle Technical Institute will need to apply for the M-1 Visa. In support of your application for an M-1 Visa, McDougle Technical Institute is authorized to issue a Form I-20. The following are steps that you must follow in order to successfully enter into the United States to begin studies with McDougle Technical Institute.

Is Training in the US for an Exciting Beauty Career Right For You?

If you’re interested in learning more about careers in Beauty and exploring if this is the field for you, fill out the form on this page to receive more information.

A helpful McDougle Technical Institute Career Advisor will assist you and help you discover the perfect career path for you.

[vc_widget_sidebar sidebar_id=”sidebar”]

Accreditation & Partners

Are you ready to start your New Career?

adminInternational Students